malaise muh-LAYZ; -LEZ, noun: 1. A vague feeling of discomfort in the body, as at the onset of illness. 2. A general feeling of depression or unease.
I opened my word-of-the-day email today, and the word was malaise. How appropriate. I felt like shit all day today. Here were my symptoms:
- threat of vomiting. This hit when I was in the shower this morning getting ready for work.
- upset stomach. see above.
- loss of appetite. all I could even dream of digesting today was peppermint tea, chicken noodle soup, V8, and cake.
- achiness. my neck and shoulders especially, but kind of all over.
- loss of smile. just didn't feel up to it.
- the wobblies – shakiness and feeling weak. probably due to loss of appetite.
- ass-dragging, AKA lack of energy. again, see loss of appetite.
- stuffy head.
- swollen glands.
- foul mood.
- feelings of portent coupled with anxiety. I had a feeling, all day, that something was about to go wrong.
- a vague sense of being outside myself.
- hypersensitive senses – smells were intense, it seemed like everyone was yelling at me, lights were too bright.
- malaise, in both senses of the word. I couldn't stand my own skin today. I wanted to crawl out of it and into a nice warm bath, shed it like a snake. I couldn't stand looking at myself in the mirror long enough to dry my hair and apply my lip gloss.
so those are my symptoms. What sort of weird-o illness have I contracted? well, maybe I'll explain more tomorrow. I'm thinking about a weekly-ish feature for Fridays. we'll see if it comes together. Hopefully if I sleep on it, I'll sleep my way right out of it. I'm going to skip my readings for class and get a good night's sleep with a magic bag and some lavender burning, and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get up and get to work on readings for class.